Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Meat UP?

This weekend I went to a vegetarian meet-up that I found on www.meetup.com. I got to the restaurant, and the hostess asked me which group I was with. When I said, "Avec meetup point com," a very indignant fellow-veggie at a nearby table turned around and said in an alarmed voice and a heavy French accent "Meat? ... Meat UP???." I think she thought our group was some sort of "Up with meat" activist league that had come to spy on the vegetarians or something.

Quite a large number of other diners had turned around and were looking at me accusingly. After I explained "It's not that type of meat," she calmed down, but it was a tense moment. At least now I can say I've met at least one French vegetarian, although not under the best circumstances.


Blogger Kai Carver said...

That's quite funny. Surprising the hostess was good enough with English to catch the double entendre.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home